President and CEO Michael Rizzolo began Interpretek in 1993 with a vision of bridging the gap between the hearing and the deaf communities. He quickly earned a reputation for delivering outstanding quality services, high ethics, leadership, and dedication to the Deaf and hearing professional communities.
This respectability led to Interpretek becoming the largest and most recognized referral agency in the greater Rochester, NY region. Our expertise goes beyond understanding American Sign Language, English sign systems, and the nuances between both languages. Our knowledge of Deaf culture ensures that we make appropriate choices when working with our clients.
In addition to Rochester, Interpretek has continued to grow to serve eight metropolitan areas across the country in Rome New York, Orlando and Jacksonville Florida, Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, Burlington, Vermont, Kansas City, Missouri, and Atlanta, Georgia. We provide premier video remote interpreting services nationwide and produce Online Focus, a vital resource for collegiate interpreter education curricula, statewide mentoring programs and individual professionals seeking continuing education.
With an emphasis on sound customer relationships and the delivery of quality interpreting services, Interpretek remains committed to maintaining a hallmark reputation and earning the trust of our customers nationwide.
Contributing to our community is one of Interpretek's core values. Here are just a few of the ways we do that:
- Since 2007, Interpretek has supported an endowed scholarship at the Rochester Institute of Technology for interpreting students at the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, providing financial aid to two deserving students annually.
- We support our local communities with pro bono services, such as for Red Wing minor league baseball in Rochester, NY, Knoebels Amusement Resort's annual Deaf Day in Columbia County, PA, and at the Museum of Deaf Arts, History, and Culture’s monthly events in Olathe, KS.
- We support international charity organizations, such as a residential school for orphans in Haiti, a summer camp for Deaf children in the Dominican Republic, and the Caribbean Christian Center in Jamaica.
- Interpretek sponsors year-round fundraising activities for breast cancer research and similar causes, raising money and actively participating in awareness events.
- Interpretek supports our independent interpreter contractors and employees when they face tremendous life challenges. We have provided monetary and volunteer support to those experiencing serious illness, fire, and to family members who have lost loved ones.
- Interpretek is an approved Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) Continuing Maintenance Program Sponsor for CEUs. We are also an RID and EIPA testing site.
- We provide financial and in-kind donations of our Online Focus continuing education program to countless state and national conferences and community event including the National Association of the Deaf (NAD), the Atlanta Area School for the Deaf, Partners in Deaf Education, I. AM. Deaf Pride Camp, NTID’s 50th anniversary celebration, ASL Music Camp, Florida Silent Weekend, and many, many more.
- Interpretek was a 2017 finalist for the Rochester Area Business Ethics Foundation’s ETHIE awards.